HARGEISA, YOUTH DEVELOPMENT ADVISOR
POSITION BACKGROUND AND JOB SUMMARY
The Somali Girls Education Promotion Project (SOMGEP-T), Led by CARE international in partnership with ADRA and local NGOs, in Somali – is an innovative project aimed at increasing access to education for some of Somalia’s most educationally disadvantaged children: rural (sedentary and nomadic) girls.
Through the Somali Girls Education Promotion Programme (SOMGEP) CARE International designs and delivers training and workshops according to the identified needs and interests of the project beneficiaries. The main goal of this component of the programme is to equip children and young people with relevant soft skills (communication, language, interpersonal); life skills (decision making, critical thinking, problem solving, creative thinking); and basic technical skills in career guidance and support in the search for internship, business start-up and employment opportunities
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the supervision of the Programme Manager, the Youth Development Advisor will be expected to carry out the following tasks:
Program Development and Implementation *(50% of time)**
- Identify and address the educational and developmental needs/requirements of young people who are target beneficiaries of the programme.
- Conduct mapping exercises to identify training and employment needs for target youth groups aimed at strengthening their capacity to transition into higher learning, formal employment or livelihoods.
- Identify develop linkages with institutions, training centres and businesses to enhance entrepreneurship opportunities for children.
- Identify internships, short work experiences and job placement opportunities for post-secondary school girls.
- Represent the project at meetings, conferences and workshops and other forums to promote and articulate issues related to youth development.
Monitoring, Knowledge and Learning (30% of time)
- Monitor improvements in academics, life skills, and entrepreneurship skills results of beneficiaries and based on beneficiary feedback plan/implement trainings and career guidance through School based clubs.
- Monitor and evaluate the results and impact of the in-school vocational training and career guidance programme and submit progress reports.
- Prepare concept papers, periodic progress reports and annual reports showing achievements of youth programs against planned targets.
Partnerships (15% of time)
- Foster and maintain positive working relationships with SOMGEP partner organisations, MOE and other stakeholders. **Perform other duties as required. (***5% of time)
- Undergraduate Degree in Social Sciences, Education (or related field), A post graduate qualification is an added advantage.
- At least 5 years substantial experience working with young people and implementing youth development programmes.
- Cultural sensitivity and experience working with vulnerable youth and children.
- Advanced proficiency in written English Languages.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Highly organized, flexible, independent, and detail oriented with the ability to multitask.
- Excellent time management skills.
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
- Program strategy, program approaches and development of partnerships.
- Final decision making authority:
- Youth development initiatives
- SOMGEP Initiative Manager
Working closely with
- Social Change Advisor
- Secondary Education Advisor
- Area Managers – Puntland and Somaliland
- ADRA Program Manager
- Ministries of Education – PL and SL
- Local NGO partners
- Youth organizations
- Business organizations as partners
This is a posting is in Hargeisa, Somaliland with frequent travel to project sites.