Muqdisho Multimedia officer – Somali nationals only
International Resources Group – Somalia/Growth Enterprise, Employment & Livelihoods (GEEL) Project.
Title: Multimedia Officer
Location: Mogadishu, Somali
Duration: 1 year (Renewable)
Growth, Enterprise, Employment & Livelihoods (GEEL) is 5-year USAID-funded project designed to promote and facilitate inclusive economic growth in south central Somalia, Puntland and Somaliland. The project is currently focusing on the agricultural sector (dairy, fisheries, sesame and banana) but is anticipated to expand in the future into other sectors of the economy. It will also seek to strengthen the business enabling environment through improving access to finance, policy and regulation, and business development services. Particular focus will be given to increase the participation of women and youth in the economy as entrepreneurs, employers, and employees.
The Multimedia Officer is responsible for meeting the communication needs of GEEL with a particular focus on gathering professional content for products to document GEEL activities and market their impact. The function will ensure the collection and dissemination of critical information and content (stories, film & photography) in compliance with GEEL’s guidelines and protocols around story-gathering activities
The Multimedia Officer will play a crucial role within GEEL especially in terms of content gathering in project locations when activities are taking place.
- Research, source, write and edit original content, identifying compelling stories across GEEL projects that highlight the impact of the work.
- Capture high quality photos, video and stories covering GEEL projects, in close liaison with the GEEL project team.
- Produce timely, accurate and accessible products on GEEL’s projects – these include video, photos, success stories, profiles and other copy for use in online and printed publications.
- Plan and lead media trips to field locations ensuring key work is documented.
- Contribute to the production of media materials such as short films, and audio, radio and video clips.
- Write additional content as needed, including video copy and social posts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Support the management of GEEL’s web and social media platforms and project photo library.
- Ensure protection of GEEL’s brand and that all procedures, protocols and policies are followed, including guidelines for interviewing people and documenting permission for use of digital images.
- Any other assigned duties as appropriate
The Multimedia Officer will report to the GEEL Communications Specialist.
1) At least Bachelors degree in mass communication, marketing or journalism or alternatively, equivalent experience or academic accomplishment in a journalism related field.
1) Excellent written skills and proven experience writing articles, profiles and success stories.
2) Excellent photography skills – proven ability to capture and produce high quality pictures.
3) Excellent video skills – proven ability to produce and edit high quality content for media and other audiences.
4) Strong planning skills – understanding how to plan and implement activities and strategies and the commissioning process for photography and video.
5) Fluent in written and spoken Somali and English.
6) Ability to travel in Somalia and Somaliland.
7) Energy and enthusiasm for information and knowledge creation, sharing, and management process and materials.
8) Ability to work well in diverse teams but also able to work independently with minimum supervision.
9) Experience working in Somalia and Somaliland.