Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Support Coordinator
Position: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Support Coordinator
Location: Garowe, Puntland with frequent travels across RI Operational areas in Somalia
Reports to: Country MEAL Manager
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a leading global change organization and home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
Relief International (RI) is an international relief and development agency with cross-sectoral programs. The person in this role will be critical to supporting the monitoring and evaluation of an ambitious girls’ education project, which is implemented by a range of consortium partners across 220+ schools across Somaliland, Puntland, Galmudug and Benadir. The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Coordinator, under the guidance of the Country MEL Manager, will work with RI and GECT consortium partners at the field level, with extensive travel across Somalia/Somaliland. This position requires a dynamic, motivated M&E professional who is interested in looking beyond measuring at the activity level and is keen to work on demonstrating evidence of outcomes using both qualitative and quantitative methods.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
Under the guidance of the MEL Country Manager, the MEL Coordinator is required to perform the following specific tasks on regular basis.
Planning and Work-plan Tracking
- Assist in the development and revision of annual work plan and strategies for the project.
- In line with consortium partners’ activities work-plans, prepare and share a master and detailed M&E work-plan for the consortium partners including RI on timely manner in order to measure against the project indicators and targets.
- Clearly communicate (via email/Skype/in-person) and discuss the plan with partners in advance of implementation.
- Follow up on the implementation progress of the M&E plan with RI MEL Officers and with partners’ M&E contact persons on bi-weekly basis to ensure implementation is going smoothly.
M&E Tools Development & Piloting
- Work with the team to refine/develop M&E tools to ensure consistency of the monitoring and evaluation system and tools with donor monitoring and evaluation requirements.
- Develop M&E tools in ODK formats for Mobile data collection such as survey and assessment tools.
- Pilot M&E tools in the field.
Data Collection & Quality Assurance
- Build capacity of project staff in the use and content of the Monitoring and Evaluation tools.
- Oversee (and conduct when needed) and follow up RI M&E Officers conducting M&E activities such as Focus Group Discussions, Key Informant Interviews, school attendance spot checks, classroom observations, community dialogues, household surveys, pre and post training tests for remedial classes, KAP surveys for life skills, amongst other approaches.
- Lead and provide guidance on the extensive data collection of the students for tracking individual students at different transition points over project period.
- Oversee the data collection of schools’ enrollment, schools’ profile, teachers’ profile, monthly bursary attendance, Means of Verification (MoVs) for achieved milestones including signed lists by beneficiaries, photos, reports, amongst other documents.
- Perform quality assessment and logical checks against the collected data by RI and consortium partners on timely manner to determine the validity, reliability, and integrity of performance data gathered.
- Provide immediate feedback to the relevant partners/individuals and share widely with the consortium partners for wider learning.
Real Time Monitoring & Information Management System (RTM & IMS)
- Maintain GECT’s RTM&IMS by ensuring required data is uploaded on timely manner and perform continuous quality assurance and control (QA/QC) against incompleteness of the uploaded data such as check missing, incorrect and inadequate data and follow up with relevant partner(s) to take corrective actions with time bound.
- Perform backup and synchronization of the IMS on weekly basis mainly for localhosts IMS.
- Provide support/on-job training to partners on the use of the IMS and respond to their technical queries.
- To effectively implement GECT’s real time monitoring and reporting, ensure that ALL data collected by all partners, as per their activity/M&E work plans, are uploaded by the partners/RI within maximum of 5 working days soon after the data is collected. This includes quantitative and qualitative data plus MoVs.
- Ensure that ALL minimal required MoVs for each activity by the partners to submit are uploaded in the system through the use of Submission-Approval-Lock approach.
- Follow up formally with relevant partners on late submissions and performance measures.
- Raise concerning issues using the indicators’ tracker
- Provide requested datatables/MoVs to Fund Manager’s
- Report any bugs & suggest improvements to the IMS through posting it GECT’s IMS ticketing system.
Management & Coordination
- Manage and Lead RI MEL Officers based in Nugal, Bosaso and Mudug regions of Puntland and Somaliland to properly plan and implement M&E activities on timely manner and accurately.
- Work closely with RI MEL Officer in Somaliland in relation to working with Gender Department to ensure plans are being carried out by Gender Focal Points.
- Held weekly Skype call and one-to-one discussion with RI MEL Officers to follow up on implementation of RI M&E work-plan.
- Coordinate with the consortium partner focal persons and managers in operationalizing the M&E plans and frameworks including data/information collection, analysis, and quality control. This also includes ad-hoc and emerging M&E requests.
- Provide advice and guidance to the senior technical team on midline survey, project monitoring, impact measurement and post project evaluation.
- Coordinate with the partners and RI to ensure that the project is delivered in accordance to GECT guidelines.
- Coordinate with Finance Department to facilitate that project related payments is only processed by Finance department after M&E department has checked and signed off the validity of the supporting MoVs as such as checking the list of girls’ supported with bursary, signed lists of training participants etc.
- Prepare and share requested MoVs by the (Fund Manager) FM’s Monitors on quarterly basis. Where needed partners follow up on certain MoVs.
- Share with partners the monitoring briefing document of the FM for their attention
- Where required, discuss with FM’s Monitors about the quarterly achievements.
Data Analysis & Reporting
- Perform data analysis including charts/graphs from the project data and prepare inputs to the different reports for GECT
- Provide monthly M&E report to technical team, including data tables from across the programme detailing M&E activities conducted and the results.
- Using the IMS to track project data such as numbers of beneficiaries and share it with technical team on a monthly basis
- Provide inputs to the quarterly and annual M&E reports against the project logframe with evidence to show progress or otherwise against indicators.
- Follow up with RI MEL Officers to prepare and share Education 4Ws Matrix with the Education Cluster on time.
- Provide required data to the technical team as requested.
- Pilot tools for the Evaluation purposes in the field
- Attend GECT’s External Evaluation’s trainings and, when requested, facilitate some sessions about GECT’s interventions and clarify participants’ queries.
- Participate in cross-checking the findings from the Evaluations including checking the translation of qualitative transcripts, listening to recorded focus group discussions and key informant interviews and checking against findings from the reports.
Dissemination of Evaluation Findings (Baseline, Midline and Endline)
- Lead and Coordinate with partners and RI on the dissemination strategy of Evaluation findings.
- Lead and disseminate Evaluation findings, in a clearly understandable language, to MoE, target communities such as CECs and other stakeholders in different for as requested.
- Document properly lessons learnt from the project and share with the partners staff for project adjustment and improvement.
Working with Others
The M&E Officer will work with the following people/agencies:
- RI project staff – Day-to-day collaboration, guidance on M&E to all aspects of the project delivery and monitoring. Staff to be working with are Education team, Communication, Engineers, logistics, and Finance.
- Ministry of Education (REOs/DEOs/RES/QA) – Monitoring visits; Joint monitoring visits to GECT schools with MoE; Classroom observations and feedback to teachers
- Gender Unit and GFPs – Monitoring Gender and GEFs; Community Dialogues; Dissemination of Evaluation findings
- MOWDAFA – Child Protection; Child Protection Rapid Assessment for schools; Follow up of referrals
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in the development of M&E plans.
- Significant experience working with international INGOs in the area of Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Experience in training and managing field teams.
- Understanding of the difference between measuring at the activity and outcome level.
- High level analytical skills including analysis of both quantitative and qualitative data and problem skills solving.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required to train or coach staff and give occasional presentations.
- Master’s degree minimum qualification preferred.
- Experience in M&E in relation to education projects strongly preferred.
- Experience in the Somalia context.
- Fluency in Somali & English
- Willingness to travel throughout Somalia/Somaliland and to be based in Somalia.
Application Procedure: For consideration please submit all of the following: a detailed CV, cover letter, salary history, and a list of 3 previous supervisors (including email address, Skype contact, and telephone number)
We would like to share Relief International’s Values with you:
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence.
We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation