The International Rescue Committee has been working in Somalia since 2006, providing essential services to conflict and disaster affected communities. The IRC has been operational in Central Somalia (Mudug and Galgadud regions) and Mogadishu implementing interventions in the areas of livelihood, WASH and health reaching out to more than 200,000 conflict and drought affected people.
Under the direct supervision of the Health Manager, the Health Data Officer will be responsible for collecting statistical data from Operational health facilities of IRC in Mudug region including Galkacyo south hospital and generating weekly, monthly, quarterly and as needed statistical reports for program follow up and monitoring purposes. S/He is expected to take part in the M&E activities to ensure the delivery of high quality services. S/He is expected to update the comprehensive Online Management effectiveness tool (COMET) regularly as needed.
- To compile and interpret all the health data on diseases treated, number of deliveries performed, ANC cases recorded and number of children vaccinated from all services department in all IRC supported health care facilities
- To ensure timely and accurate collection of data and generate regular reports on the same and also to ensure that a comprehensive drug management database is maintained at all times and accurately updated.
- To supervise all levels of data collection from entry, filling, compiling, summarizing and continues and frequent close monitoring giving feedback to the health manager.
- Ensure the application, update and monitoring of COMET system.
- Support and Monitor Data clerks based at the facility level to ensure that weekly/monthly data entry is effectively and correctly entered into COMET system
- Conduct data validity and accuracy audits to ensure the quality of the data in the system
- Carry out weekly data audit to ensure the accuracy and consistency of data in the health facility registers
- Provide refresher trainings to Data clerks, and health staff on COMET, and data management
- Review records for completeness, accuracy and compliance with regulations and safeguard the data for control quality improvement efforts
- Generate weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports to monitor the program performance
- Attend HIMS meetings and provide feedback to the staff to improve the data quality
- Develop and distribute the data collection tools to the health facilities and ensure
- Conduct monthly review of registers and forms from the health facilities to ensure accuracy and quality before data.
- Conduct regular visits to health facilities to identify gaps in timeliness and quality of data reporting and work with relevant staff to address the gaps.
- With the support of the Health manager, organize quarterly data review meetings to monitor the program performance.
- Maintain data backup and archival procedures.
- Carry out any other activities deemed appropriately by the supervisor.
Reporting and Coordination:
- Represent IRC in HMIS meetings
- Prepare and submit monthly reports and updates as required to the MoH and IRC
Required qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor degree in Computer science or equivalent with at least 5 years of relevant experience in a similar role
- Skills in DHIS, HMIS and data management.
- At least 2 years’ experience in health data collection/ management and all statistic forms
- Data analysis and report writing skills
- Health information system knowledge and skills
- Experience in conducting qualitative and quantitative surveys
- Computer literacy with working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel), MIS, HIS, SPSS
- Ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources;
To apply for this job, visit the IRC careers page on: www.rescue.org/careers
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling in basis. Application deadline is 20th November 2017.
Somali nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Somalia NGO Sector