Hargeisa – Country Director
Contract type: Fixed Term – 2 years (renewable)
Location: Hargeisa (unaccompanied)
Closing date : 24th July 2017 @ 23:59 GMT+1
One person in three in the world lives in poverty. Oxfam is determined to change that world by mobilizing the power of people against poverty. Around the world, Oxfam works to find practical, innovative ways for people to lift themselves out of poverty and thrive. We save lives and help rebuild livelihoods when crisis strikes. And we campaign so that the voices of the poor influence the local and global decisions that affect them. In all we do, Oxfam works with partner organizations and alongside vulnerable women and men to end the injustices that cause poverty.
To take up the exciting opportunity to lead a dynamic new Country Program. The Country Director will be responsible for directing development of the new program portfolio, based on influencing and the enhanced use of technology and communications, by providing vision and strategic leadership to all of Oxfam’s work in Somalia. This includes Oxfam’s advocacy, policy and influencing, long term development, program design and implementation and humanitarian responses. Furthermore, he/she is responsible and accountable for the strategic direction and effective management of the Country Program ensuring development, continued improvement in quality and impact of the programs, quality institutional fundraising and effective financial and human resource management in line with Oxfam Policy.
In March 2017, Oxfam started a humanitarian response, focused on livelihood and WASH, the Country Director will also manage this program.
The Country Director will also be responsible for implementing the Oxfam 2020 Vision which aims to create a stronger Oxfam that is globally coordinated and relevant in every country in which we work. The position is accountable to the Oxfam Regional Director for Horn, Eastern and Central Africa (HECA) for the delivery, effective management (which includes budgets and planning), monitoring and evaluation, and learning from the program.
- Master’s degree in relevant field
- Proven track record of applying new technologies to programming or make use of existing technologies to innovatively influence program design and delivery
- Proven track record in influencing and advocacy work at both grassroots as well as high international levels
- Experience in leading and motivating multi-disciplinary teams, operating in geographically remote locations.
- Significant senior leadership and management experience in the development and delivery of high quality program, influencing and humanitarian strategy, with and through partners or directly, in one or more challenging locations
- Proven records of successional investment in start-up programming to ultimately achieve impact at scale
- Committed to a rights-based approach including an active commitment to putting women’s rights at heart of all we do as well as the rights of other marginalised people in all aspects of the organisation’s work
- Experience of managing complex change processes and relationships involving a wide range of both internal and external multi-cultural stakeholders across a variety of disciplines and geographical areas;
- A high degree of self-awareness and an understanding of how to drive and support excellent team performance and individual development in line Oxfam’s values and policies
- Proven track record of success in representing an organisation with partners; government agencies, private sector organisations, media and donors at senior level; national and globally
The suitable candidate must have the following essential behavioural competencies: strategic thinking and judgement in relation with agility, managing complexity and ambiguity; influencing; relationship building and mutual accountability. Be a good active listener with the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact
- NGO Sector experience in Somalia is an asset
- Fluent in English and knowledge of Somali language is an advantage
Oxfam is committed to providing a competitive compensation package based on a 40-hour work week.
Oxfam International is an equal opportunities employer, committed to diversity within the workplace.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.