Communications and Reporting Associate – Somalia
Position: Communications and Reporting Associate – Somalia
Location: Somalia (roving between project sites)
Reports To: Program Officer – Somalia
Relief International (RI) is a leading global humanitarian and development organization and home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations living in fragile settings. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
This role offers an opportunity to work within a leading global humanitarian organization that transforms adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. In East Africa, RI is working to improve health, education and general economic conditions through relief and development programming. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to work in a region undergoing historic change.
Under supervision of the Program Officer, the Communications and Reporting Associate will be responsible for liaising with field staff and Headquarters for the development of program updates and communication materials, writing and editing program reports, supporting program development initiatives and conducting administrative tasks as assigned. In order to successfully complete these tasks, the Associate will be based in Somalia traveling frequently between project sites (including, but not limited to: Mogadishu, Beletweyne, Belet Hawa, Garowe, Galkacyo and Bossoso, with more sites added as the program portfolio expands) to directly support program staff in the field. The Associate will also attend multi-sectoral meetings to gather information and to represent RI-Somalia.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Associate is expected to possess strong writing, editing, and organizational skills. He/she must take initiative and show attention-to-detail in all day-to-day work. Ability to interact and communicate well with diverse groups of people is a must.
- Attend informative events and meetings related to Somalia programming to network and gather information that supports program activities;
- Present on RI-Somalia’s programmes at Cluster meetings and in other collaborative venues;
- Communicate frequently with partners and stakeholders to strengthen collaboration;
- Liaise with field teams to gather information needed for donor updates;
- Facilitate team meetings ensuring good communication among different departments and creating action points;
- Support field teams with communications materials they can share with local stakeholders;
- Lead on providing media training to field teams ensuring photographs of high quality are captured in order to sufficiently document all project activities;
- Prepare public relations materials such as brochures, information sheets, capacity statements, monthly newsletters, and annual reports;
- Create project location maps for relevant communications materials;
- Coordinate with RI Communications Team at Headquarters to provide regular updates and material for website;
- Develop materials and updates to share with donors;
- Conduct internal desk reviews, research innovative techniques, help generate lessons learned, questionnaires, best practices, etc.
Reporting & Programs Support:
- Provide day-to-day general program support to the Somalia team;
- Write, review and edit program reports and other documents for submission to donors;
- Research, write, edit and compile proposal sections and supporting documents ensuring compliance with donor requirements;
- Coordinate with grants & contracts unit at headquarters for review, support and approval on proposals, budgets and contracts;
- File and maintain all grant documentation, including contracts, budgets, external evaluations, quarterly reports, etc.;
- Prepare contracts and agreements for short-term consultants;
- Coordinate payments for consultants and Somalia project activities;
- Conduct research on innovative techniques and on new topics for integration into current programming, writing summaries for program team’s learning;
- Design surveys and assessments, and support field teams with implementation and monitoring of said assessments, analyze results and write reports to support program monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL);
- Assist in the monitoring of work plans, project activities and other deliverables;
- Represent RI to external stakeholders and effectively demonstrate knowledge of the company’s history, values, capacity and goals;
- Assist in routine administrative duties as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a field related to international development, health or humanitarian work;
- This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast-paced environment;
- Knowledge and experience working within the Somali context;
- Understanding of the security situation within Somalia and risks involved in working in a conflict-affected country;
- Willingness and desire to travel frequently to remote field sites within Somalia;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work independently, as well as part of a team;
- Flexibility and out-of-the-box thinking;
- Professional demeanor and leadership skills;
- Respect for other cultures and possesses the ability to work well with people is a must;
- Previous experience working with a humanitarian-focused agency;
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills;
- Strong English language and writing skills are a must;
- Ability to speak fluent Somali is required for this position.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation